Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Mini-tip: Working from multiple locations via Dropbox

I'm currently working on a Maya-project where I sometimes work from my office and sometimes from my home. I thought I'd share a small tip on how to do this without to much headache.

The solution is rather simple, and also makes it possible for multiple co-workers to work on the same project (although I wouldn't try to work on the same file).


First of all, I have a dropbox-account (which can be created for free). Then, after I have installed the client, I open Maya.

Now, Dropbox creates a folder on your hard-drive where you can add files. These files are then accesible from any other computer where you have installed dropbox and connected it to your account.

When I have my Dropbox in place, then I start to work in Maya. So, create a new project, but don't place it in the default location, but instead, place it in your dropbox folder. Whenever you change something in your files, it's updated in the dropbox folders on all your computers (as long as they are connected to the Internet, of course).


Additionally, you can share a folder with other Dropbox users, which means that you can share your project folder, and work together with multiple people on the same project.

Finally, this also serves as a decent backup if something should go very wrong.

1 comment:

Hillmountain said...

I'm also using dropbox for the less sensitive stuff at work. Works great for a distributed task force!